Friday, April 29, 2011

Yesterday.

 "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you.  Isaiah 54:10

Yesterday Emma and I awoke to some of the worst news we've seen in a long time. 

This post comes after having to process so many emotions, worries, and thoughts.  Especially with few people to verbally talk to, we are still in shock...

The South was hit by one of the most devastating storms in several decades.  What was said to be an F5 tornado ripped through the town I lived in for almost the last 6 years.  A part of my life is there and the town, along with my heart, has been completely crushed...  I lived on a street there that has simply disappeared.  I have friends who have pulled innocent bodies out of the rubble.  What can you do?...

Emma and I are very thankful that none of the people we know were seriously hurt.  We are also grateful to be living outside of the country away from the devastation, but can't help but feel... helpless.  We are brokenhearted.  I assume the photos on Facebook and the videos from news channels are only a small glimpse as to what has really happened.  Every time I see the images, I am just awestruck.  I just don't believe it.  It's not real.

People have literally lost everything.  What was there a minute before the tornado hit, has almost disappeared completely.  Houses, cars, entire warehouses.. everything is gone. 

I have done my share of crying and I wasn't even there.  The sad news is that there will probably still be remains of the destruction when I return to the states in a month...  The road to recovery will be a long one.

The good news is that there is and will always be hope.  Emma and I continue to pray daily for the lost and hurting there in Alabama and the rest of the South.  If you are able and have the opportunity to give in some way, please do so.  Find a local volunteer group, donate resources, give to the Red Cross, and by all means continue to pray.   

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once more." Psalm 71:20-21

To see photos and news coverage about the tornado and what it left behind go HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment